Techcrunch Top 20 Social Media Sites for 2008

I was just checking out the Techcrunch post about the Top 20 Social Media Sites for 2008. They used stats from a service that included Blogging platforms as social media sites.
Blogging platforms which include Blogger, then my favorite, WordPress. That is unless you call Myspace a blogging platform, I don’t, but it would be second behind Blogger. The list had Facebook as being the number 2 site behind Blogger.

I myself would not include blogging sites on a social media list, that is just me though.
At any rate there are quite a few sites on the list that I have never heard of…sounds like I have some investigating to do. You know what that means don’t you. More Social media blog posts. Yeah.
Pixelhead feed

Of the twenty, I use or have profiles on Blogger, Facebook,Myspace, wordpress, and of course Flickr. I have heard of Yahoo Geocities, Window Live Spaces, Six Apart, Friendster,Bebo, and Scribd. But the others – Hi5, Orkut, Baidu Space,56.com, Webs.com, Lycos Tripod(Lycos is still around?), Tagged, imeem, and Netlog I have never heard anything.

My list of top Social Media sites in order of my use would be:

1. Flickr – I post a lot of pictures on Flickr. I may not be on it everyday, but when I am on Flickr, it is usually for about 1/2 to an 1hr at a time.
  2. Plurk-I started using this Microblogging site last summer, and have continued to use it..I can however see myself to decline in my use of it. Plurk takes Karma away from you if you don’t use the site. So if  you go on vacation you tend to loose Karma points, and your followers loose interest.
  3. Mixx- I just started getting into the social bookmarking site Mixx regularly with in the last couple of months. I am going to be doing quite a bit of Mixxing in 2009 and will be tracking the use of it for marketing purposes. Like Plurk it has a Karma feature, but the Karma continues to go up with each site you submit
  4. Viddler- Is the Online video hosting site that I use for hosting my videos. Viddler has a ton of features that make it my choice, which I feel far out way Youtube.
  5. Twitter- I had been using Plurk much more than Plurk, but since Twitter added the @Replies button, I have been visiting the site much more frequently to see any conversations I might be missing.
  6. Stumbleupon-I use Stumbleupon to send pages to friends. I have found that it can generate a lot of traffic and is really helpful for networking. If you don’t currently use Stumbleupon, I would suggest installing the Stumble tool bar onto your Mozzilla browser to start experiencing some really tremendous web sites.

Less Used Social Media Sites

1. Digg – I am not on Digg that much, but do go on when people shout out to me to check out a site. Other than that, due mainly to the nastiness of a ton of immature Digg users, I find myself not using it regularly.
  2. Sphinn- is a social site much like Digg, but geared for Internet marketing professionals. I have been a member for some time, and have been meaning to develop it as a second tier social media site…sounds like a short term goal for 2009.
  3. Facebook – I rarely use Facebook, but do check it when someone tells me they sent me a message on it or when I receive a notification.  To be honest, I think Facebook is way too confusing, and over all a waste of time.
  4. Mybloglog – I have been slacking with Mybloglog lately, but do use it periodically because of the stats feature.
  5. Blogcatalog – Another good community which I have used in the past, but holds a lot of potential for the future.

Well that is my list of the top Social media site that I use as it stands going into 2009. If you want to get in touch with me, you can contact me on any of those sites or any of my other Social Networks or use the Contact form.

What’s your top Social Media list look like?

Written by Pixelhead on January 2nd, 2009 with comments disabled.
Read more articles on Uncategorized and Web 2.0

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com High Tech PR
#1. January 2nd, 2009, at 2:02 PM.

Why did you not choose to use Youtube.com as your video host?
Also, what is your opinion of Linkedin.com?

I have profiles in the majority of the larger social sites but also on many relevant forums.
The decision has to be made as to the reason of using these sites?
I think they are successful, especially facebook.com if you are genuinely interested in building a business relationship with the people you are adding as friends.

As with everything, if you provide relevant and interesting content then your contacts or friends will want to find out more

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Nicole Price
#2. January 2nd, 2009, at 2:47 PM.

I do not have one! I simply do not have the time.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com SoLinkable
#3. January 2nd, 2009, at 3:00 PM.

I never would have guessed that microblogging would take off the way it did. To tell you the truth, I’ve never even BEEN to the twitter homepage. I keep saying that I want to start, but never get around to it…

I’ve never heard of Viddler, how old is it? What are the extra features it offers?

#4. January 2nd, 2009, at 5:23 PM.

Solinkable, I use Viddler over Youtube for several reasons. First it is a local company out of Bethlehem, PA…I always like to do business with the small underdog. Secondly, it has some great SEO links.You can have one in your profile, the video description can have links in them. Also, I frequently see my videos in the SERPs due to the tags.
I am sure I should probably upload to multiple video hosting sites using a service like Tubemogul, but even then you need to log in and tweak the different video parts such as tags, and description.

Nicole, I don’t blame you one bit. Got to know where to focus your energy.

High Tech PR, I use Viddler for the reasons stated above..and I just like its coolness. The community is very friendly and helpful as well.
I do have a linkedin profile, but I am not a regular user of the service. I do get requests for people to add me. I hear it is a great service, I just have not used it extensively.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Music Man
#5. January 2nd, 2009, at 10:26 PM.

very nice post. thank you for this.flickr is my favorite one.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Andy
#6. January 2nd, 2009, at 10:46 PM.

Plurk and Mixx are new to me; I’ll have to check them out.
Stumble and Twitter, of course, are taking off like wildfire (Stumble has been for a couple of years).

Digg… I think it’s a victim of it’s own success, much like MySpace. What is that song… “Fools rush in”?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Hilton head island rental
#7. January 3rd, 2009, at 10:27 AM.

1. Blogger 2. Facebook 3. MySpace 4. WordPress
5. Windows 6. Yahoo Geocities 7. Flickr 8. hi5
9. Orkut 10. Six Apart 11. Baidu Space 12. Friendster
13. 56.com 14. Webs.com 15. Bebo 16. Scribd
17. Lycos Tripod 18. Tagged 19. imeem 20. Netlog 21.Youtube
22.Viddler 23.Digg 24.Sphinn

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com ExiOST
#8. January 4th, 2009, at 2:55 PM.

Nice post, Flikr and Twitter i like both, thank you for sharing. Friendster and Geocities too

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Manuel
#9. January 5th, 2009, at 7:03 AM.

Not sure why they mention geocities as social media site – it was a free webhost when I last visited it. I hosted my first website there back in 1999.

#10. January 5th, 2009, at 3:48 PM.

Manuel, I am not sure either..much like having Blogger and WordPress on there. Perhaps a better definition of a Social media site needs to be agreed upon or defined in their data key.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Paul
#11. January 5th, 2009, at 6:12 PM.

I just signed up to for your incredible SEO tips!!!

#12. January 5th, 2009, at 6:56 PM.

Thanks Paul…I should be starting a new series sometime this week..putting a Video up on Viddler about it even as I type.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com So
#13. January 5th, 2009, at 8:05 PM.

Agreed. Flickr == one of the best social networking sites I use!

My Sites:

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Caulking Tool
#14. January 5th, 2009, at 8:23 PM.

Good list. It’s nice to see you didn’t put down 100 sites. That is all too common these days. So many people think every social media site is valuable. Not true! Many are a total waste of time. Thanks for having a filter.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Geoserv
#15. January 6th, 2009, at 1:12 AM.

Nice list, there seems to be a new one everyday.

StumbleUpon would be my most used one.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Minnesota Attorney
#16. January 7th, 2009, at 5:10 AM.

I’ve wondered if MyBlogLog is an idea whose time has come and gone. It seemed interesting in the beginning, but I find myself ignoring it and its random list of visitors when I read various blogs. I agree that its stats may be useful, but with Google Analytics offering far more powerful statistics, MyBlogLog seems unnecessary. Do you think MyBlogLog has the ability to stay around much longer?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Atniz
#17. January 8th, 2009, at 5:08 AM.

I like to use Buzz, Digg and SU. Other than that not really interested. It is time consuming to submit new post to all social media sites.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Web Templates
#18. January 8th, 2009, at 6:22 PM.

Digg and del.icio.us are definitely my favorites.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Experiential Marketing
#19. January 10th, 2009, at 11:57 PM.

Mixx and Sphinn are my two favorites although I’m hoping to become much more involved over at Blogcatalog as like you mentioned, I think it has extremely good potential.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jon Provisi
#20. January 11th, 2009, at 12:56 PM.

Well, we have pretty same social media sites list, except i don’t use Twitter at all :-)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Nishant
#21. January 13th, 2009, at 11:39 AM.

Orkut and Hi5 are popular in asian countries. Infact Orkut is no.1 social networking site in India. Most of the Indians have profile in orkut. Orkutting is fav. past time here. People don’t know much about other social media sites.Only flickr is used for photo sharing. But orkut can’t be used as powerful medium to promote business like twitter,facebook or myspace.

#22. January 13th, 2009, at 7:58 PM.

Nishant, I’ll have to check out Orkut and HI5. thanks for stopping in.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Enggar SEO Test
#23. January 27th, 2009, at 10:27 AM.

i used those social media sites except viddler and sphinn.
maybe i’ll register soon.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Nicole Dorrin
#24. February 2nd, 2009, at 12:04 PM.

Flikr and Twitter are my favorites. As for Plurk and Mixx, they are something unknown by me. Thanks for sharing such a useful info.