JS:Small-c Virus Alert

Today, I spent a better part of the day trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with Alltravelsites becasue my wifes virus protection gave her a warning, and when I was on it, it kept redirecting to some other sites. Another friend checked it out and his virus protection came up with a warning that said the page had a JS:Small-c[trj] virus.

VIRUSES BITE

Being pretty slow, I checked out the source code, and saw nothing that was sticking out at me. I put a support ticket into the webhost, and they were of very little help..they requested several screenshots because did they not detect a virus. The page also did not redirect all the time, because you had to navigate around on the page for a while.

Later on this evening, I emailed my friend Greg over at Domain Name Co (lots of great domain names for sale on his site by the way) and he suggested I check out the template files. Greg’s email encouraged me to do a bit more research, so with the tool known as Google, I did a quick search..got to love Google..so I searched for JS:Small-C Virus and this forum with the solution to the problem was at the top of the results.

THE VIRUS SOLUTION(temp)

I went into the header file and found the code that was indicated in the forum deleted it and the problem was temporarily fixed. Temporary because I now need to update the template. I tried to this a while ago, and the entire site went down. I then put in another ticket so that I can get the blog updated.  Some little snafu with the ftp protocol.

Anyway after I fixed the travel blog I headed over here and noticed the words INCLUDE_DATA at the top of the page. I went into the header file and found the text siting just before the <head> tag, which I promptly deleted.

Just thought I would share my experience with this in case your blog happens to be doing some wonky stuff.

The final solution, make sure you update your WP versions as soon as possible so that security patches are fixed because there are but heads out there who will take advantage of your failure to update your blog.

Pixelheadonline blog Tags:,

Written by Pixelhead on February 10th, 2010 with comments disabled.
Read more articles on Blogging

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Arafat Hossain Piyada
#1. February 10th, 2010, at 9:26 AM.

I just share it on my twitter account because this article worth reading. Thanks for sharing your experience.

#2. February 10th, 2010, at 3:38 PM.

Thanks for Sharing Arafat.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Bodybuilding Blog
#3. February 11th, 2010, at 2:58 AM.

I haven’t seen this virus before but I have worked on a clients site once where there was no malicious JavaScript code but the virus protection kept giving warnings because it didn’t like the way the code was written lol.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Reptile Care
#4. February 12th, 2010, at 4:44 PM.

Excellent article, i’ll have to keep my eye out. I hate viruses :( Grrr.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com self storage cumming
#5. February 15th, 2010, at 12:25 PM.

Thanks for the heads up. I experienced something similar with one of my websites. Came across the same solution on Google.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com J Ascot
#6. February 15th, 2010, at 9:36 PM.

Thanks for the info, I have never heard of this kind of “virus” before. Do you know how you got the infection, was your ftp account hacked?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com wilis
#7. February 15th, 2010, at 11:26 PM.

The virus is very annoying, making our jobs are blocked, should people who make viruses severely punished.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Dara
#8. February 17th, 2010, at 8:07 PM.

Wow, it’s a good thing your wife has you. That’s a lot of work and effort to figure out the problem. Me? I would have just “terminated” the process on my virusscan and ignorantly went on my way.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com free press releases
#9. February 17th, 2010, at 11:59 PM.

Gotta love Google! that’s strange though that your hosting co couldn’t resolve. Which one do you use?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com cell phone accessory
#10. February 18th, 2010, at 5:35 PM.

and how could you possibly find out who makes an virus? you wake up in the morning and your pc is infected,how do you find out the creator ? :|

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Watch UFC 110 Live Stream
#11. February 19th, 2010, at 9:32 PM.

Hi Pixelhead, I would also just like to share what happened to my friend. He was out for a couple of days so he wasn’t able to fix the problem very quick. What happened was that all his traffic was redirected to a youtube video. He didn’t know or how but he lost a lot of traffic that way.

We should all be careful about this and we should be very vigilant about our sites/blogs.

Thank you for the heads up pixelhead and more power.
Oh, I hope you don’t mind the name I used.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Philip@hyip
#12. February 20th, 2010, at 2:49 PM.

I haven’t experienced this virus yet, and have never seen it, well thanks for this advance knowledge so i can troubleshoot it once i encounter it… thank you

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Martin Kono
#13. February 22nd, 2010, at 8:39 AM.

There are always new viruses and possible threats to our systems. It is crucial to have good antivir software and to upgrade it as often as it is possible.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ron Leyba
#14. February 23rd, 2010, at 3:14 AM.

It always happen. My blogs are hit many times by those kind of redirection kind of malwares. Glad they are easy to fix. Now, I just see to it that my sites are well protected by updating to the current security versions.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ski
#15. February 23rd, 2010, at 1:17 PM.

Thank you for sharing your “virus” experience with us. :)
I had lost so many important files with a virus that I can imagine your effort to stop these infections! But since I now use a Mac book, I haven’t seen a virus in it. That’s might be the solution. PS: I’m not working for them.. It’s just my opinion.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com web developer melbourne
#16. February 24th, 2010, at 3:33 AM.

I was wondering if you would have any idea what I should do about the virus alert I received when I connected a USB key to my computer running with Windows XP? I only receive these alerts when I connect a USB key.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Watching Online
#17. March 6th, 2010, at 12:32 PM.

WordPress? Oh dear. Do you know how it got there?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Kim
#18. June 28th, 2010, at 2:31 AM.

I wish there was no such things of virus for computers they can really mess someone’s life and business up because most people don’t have the money to keep replacing computers.

#19. June 28th, 2010, at 3:05 PM.

Kim, I know what you mean..just last week my wife got the AV virus and it resulted in a $300 bill to fix her pc, which she was seriously depressed about being without.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com UFC 116 Live Stream
#20. June 29th, 2010, at 5:39 AM.

I hope I don’t get this virus, I surely haven’t experienced this yet. Thanks for the useful info Pixelhead!