How Stupid Can a Smartphone Make You Feel?

Today smartphones are everywhere. Everyone except for my mom and 90 year old grandmother have a smartphone, wants a smartphone or will soon have a smartphone. I myself had been an iPhone user for only several months when I lost the iPhone at Walmart.

How stupid does losing your smartphone make you feel?

I have already missed a few appointments because I did not get notified since my smart iPhone was not able to alert me about my appointments.

I also feel very disconnected due to the loss of my iPhone for a few reasons. First, all my contact numbers had been stored on the iPhone, and I did not back up my contact list. Secondly, due to the ease of staying connected with the iPhone, I  have not been posting on the various social media sites such as Facebook, FourSquare, and Twitter nearly as frequently due to the loss of my iPhone. It really is sad to find out how dependent upon these devices we can become.

What Can You Do When You Lose Your iPhone?

When I discovered that I had lost my cell, I first called Walmart and asked if anyone had returned an iPhone. You just never know, there are honest people out there, but there are also many dishonest people out there. Next, I tried unsuccessfully to contact AT&T, but since it was late Sunday afternoon, there were no AT&T stores that were open, and the customer support was not answering. The following day however, I went to the AT&T store and got the phone disconnected and got a new sim card. I then went and purchased an AT&T  Go phone which I am now using as my cell..I really do hate it.

I have called Walmart multiple times to see if the missing iPhone has shown up. I also reported it as stolen to the local authorities, as I would not want it to show up having been used in some crime and not reported it stolen. I also saw online that one guy did report his stolen, and he got a call from the police later on in the week to come and pick up his phone. Recovery,  I believe is not too common.

When I was at the AT&T store, I became aware of Apple’s MobileMe program, for $99 per year, which allows you to be able to track the were about’s of your phone via GPS tracking, do a mobile erase of the data, and if the phone is on silent, enables you to override it and send out a really noisy sound to annoy those who now have your iPhone. But alas, you can not sign up for the MobileMe program after you have lost your iPhone.

Finding out about the MobileMe program after loosing my phone, really annoys me. Apple has the ability to track one of their phones, to register a phone and make it obsolete to thieves, but they choose to capitalize on the service instead of protecting their loyal iPhone costumers. My iPhone was only a 3G iPhone, so it only will run me around $300 to replace it. What do you think the odds are of that happening? As much as I like the iPhone, I am not going to run out and get another one.

Apple, like all the other smartphone manufacturers, has the GPS technology to make stolen phones unvaluable to thieves, but they choose not to do the right thing. Currently, any thief can still use my iPhone as a 8GB iPod or even as an iTouch. I have even read that cell phone companies must allow a cell phone to be unlocked for use by another carrier after it has been in use for only a year. I am not exactly sure when that would be since my phone was refurbished.(yea I try to buy used when possible)

Lastly, as the result of doing this post, I learned about and then  I  registered the lost iPhone with itrackmobile.com which means my missing iPhone is registered as lost or stolen with the authorities. So when the person who has possession of the missing iPhone tries to use it, I will get notified. I figure the guys at the AT&T store were not going to tell me about this as this is not one of the services that they are trying to sell.

Who can register with iTrackMobile.com for Free?

What SmartPhone now?

I will be getting another SmartPhone in the near future, as I really need one to do sales for our latest venture LocalMobileConnect.com, which  is key, but I need to do a little research first before I purchase a costly smartphone.  I am not sure I want to get a phone that uses the Android operating system or wait for the release of the Windows Phone 7 Series. For now, I will have to get comfortable using the old T-mobile BlackBerry,  once I get it unlocked.

Do you have a smartphone that you would recommend I try?

Written by Pixelhead on March 23rd, 2010 with comments disabled.
Read more articles on Consumer Info

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com AbbyInk | Can Koozies
#1. March 23rd, 2010, at 8:26 PM.

It is a big hassle when you lose a phone.
MobileMe is available for about $60 on other online retailers, for those who think 100 dollars is a bit steep. Just the piece of mind is worth the price.

Thanks for mentioning itrackmobile. Sounds like a great back-up plan incase something happens to my phone. I can’t really recommend a new smartphone to try. The iPhone has me hooked for now.

FYI – You’re incorrectly using “loose” instead of “lose” in your post.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ben Lloyd
#2. March 23rd, 2010, at 8:30 PM.

What about a sharp electric shock for the thief? Is there an App for that? :)

Nice post PH, I’m about to get an iPhone, with my track record I’ve been searching for solutions too. I found this post interesting, ways to recover/track for free:

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Cartoon Games
#3. March 24th, 2010, at 12:21 AM.

Losing my cellphone is one of my great fears, thanks for this recommendation!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Michelle | OnlinePosterPrinting.com
#4. March 24th, 2010, at 2:23 AM.

I don’t like smart phones, generally as they make me feel stupid. That is why I basically stick to something like nokia which is user friendly for me. I’m sure there are a lot of better ones out there but I tend to stick with what I am used to.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Wayne John
#5. March 24th, 2010, at 2:02 PM.

Lament for my iPhone…

I wish I could throw away my cell phone and go back to the olive green phone with a long stretchy cord that hangs near the fridge… Thankfully, I don’t have to use mine terribly often, so if I ever lost my own, I wouldn’t be terribly sad about it.

But I guess I’m not like most other people, right? lol

#6. March 24th, 2010, at 4:33 PM.

Wayne, yea, I think this little break from using a smartphone should be looked at as a vacation..I know all too soon I will be up and running again.

#7. March 24th, 2010, at 4:36 PM.

Michelle, I know what you mean about sticking with what you know, I had a friend who kept buying the same phone on ebay over and over..although, she finally upgraded and now can actually text messege..
Still another friend has a palm which he swears by and will not go with anything else.

#8. March 24th, 2010, at 4:37 PM.

Ben, thanks for the link to “6 ways to find track lost stolen iPhone” …great blog post…I like your shocking idea, but I would hate to have it malfunction on me.

#9. March 24th, 2010, at 4:39 PM.

AbbyInk, thanks for stopping in and for both letting me know about my error and the price differences on MobileMe…I believe I fixed the errors.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com David
#10. March 25th, 2010, at 1:30 AM.

I am really annoyed by the people that are so obsessed with their smart phones. Especially the kids today, their phone is their life. It is out of control.

#11. March 25th, 2010, at 3:02 PM.

David, yes, I completely agree with you. My daughter’s cell is continuously humming with incomming messeges.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Perfect Golf Swing
#12. March 29th, 2010, at 4:12 AM.

Technology often times seems to make us actually plan ahead less, and rely on the technology more. For example, before cell phones were common, you had to plan time and location of where you would meet someone. Now you can leave and be halfway there before you even agree on where you are meeting.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com KVM Switches
#13. March 29th, 2010, at 6:55 AM.

Yes david, kids are very crazy about their cell phone , it means every thing to them, they have become so much dependent on them as if they loose one, their life becomes meaningless.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com jamEs | SlideawayMedia – Cambridge Ontario Web Design
#14. March 29th, 2010, at 8:55 PM.

My iPhone is practically an extra appendage to me. I feel powerless if I happen to walk out of the house with it. I feel for you, hopefully you can get your phone back.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Megan
#15. March 29th, 2010, at 8:57 PM.

Well everyone except your mom and 90 year old grandmother and me. I’ve been reluctant to get a smart phone, my cellphone is the one thing that I like to have be very basic. When it comes to just about any other technology I like the cutting edge, but for all their many features, most of the smart phones I’ve had a chance to try out are just not very good as actual phones, the sound quality on the cheap piece of junk I have is better. Plus trying to view the majority of websites on an iPhone is just a painful experience.
Losing a cellphone does suck though, and I have a terrible habit of misplacing mine and having to call it to locate it by sound. I haven’t ever left it anywhere that it could easily be stolen though.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mobilus
#16. March 30th, 2010, at 6:50 PM.

Lost my iPhone – a terrible dream. Thanks for the post, but I hope that your advice I will not have to use. :)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com SEO Birmingham
#17. March 31st, 2010, at 2:19 PM.

I hate phones to be honest, I really can’t get use to it, I was using NOkia 7250 for last 8 yrs before I got this another phone which I will be using for next 20 years lol

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com iPageRank
#18. April 1st, 2010, at 2:57 AM.

Thanks for the link to “6 ways to find track lost stolen iPhone” …great blog post…I like your shocking idea,

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com online shopping deals
#19. April 1st, 2010, at 6:26 AM.

If your iPhone is too expensive, then spending a few extra dollars on its insurance is worth it. Should anything happen to your iPhone, you can claim back if you have its insurance policy.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com link building services
#20. April 2nd, 2010, at 2:43 AM.

Very good that you found this service!! It is too sad that they did not tell you this at the store. I am using a Blackberry but only it has a keyboard!! I hat to text with a regular phone where one key is for 3 letters. This drives me crazy and slow. As well I am not a fan of super high tech so a smartphone is not important. Of course we need to have progress but not in the way that we cannot function anymore without it!!! Imagine that suddenly all cellphones would just stop working! People would panic and the world would almost stop. This is insane.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Editha
#21. April 2nd, 2010, at 10:52 AM.

I simply hate smart phones. They make me feel stupid and furthermore they are easy to lose. So I stick to phones like Nokia or Motorola because they are user friendly and easy to use.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Danielle
#22. April 2nd, 2010, at 11:51 AM.

I had my smartphone stolen the other day. I felt like lost. And I believe the ppl who stole it felt great to sell my phone on ebay. It was a 2 week old iphone 3gs 32gb in white. This sucks!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Omaha Chiropractor
#23. April 3rd, 2010, at 2:38 PM.

i have an iphone, but, i haven’t taken any insurance policy on it. thanks for this valuable idea:)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Paul
#24. April 5th, 2010, at 8:44 PM.

What a sweet website that is. A great way to discourage people from stealing your phone.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mp3 indir
#25. April 9th, 2010, at 1:11 PM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Goran | Net Age
#26. April 12th, 2010, at 11:28 AM.

Oi, that is a bit of a bad reflection on Apple, but lets face it folks, theft drives a significant number of sales, and by drastically reducing theft the bottom line is going to be affected. There should be laws against this kind of stuff happening…..

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com directholidaylettings
#27. April 12th, 2010, at 4:50 PM.

I simply hate smart phones. they are too small, and i do not know how to use them.
They make me feel stupid and furthermore they are easy to lose

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com homesvacationrentals
#28. April 12th, 2010, at 4:52 PM.

i cannot afford one right now, but i will love to have one. Its true they are a little difficult to understand, just like women!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com wedding bombonieres Perth
#29. April 22nd, 2010, at 3:00 PM.

Thanks for the tip about insurance…it is so useful….I lost two Nokia phones and I really don’t want to lose my iphone

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Pool Vacuum Cleaners
#30. April 22nd, 2010, at 5:44 PM.

I STILL have not picked up an iphone, partly because I am scared that it will make me fell very silly. Although I make a living online, I am not keeping up with the latest gadgets. I still have on old school cell phone!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Semi Precious beads
#31. April 23rd, 2010, at 3:17 PM.

Im not overly convinced about having a smartphone, my wife has the iphone and since she has had it she just seems to waste hours each week on facebook and the other apps they have on there. Surely its supposed to be a tool that benefits your life not taking it over.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com art house
#32. May 1st, 2010, at 10:51 PM.

They make me feel stupid they are easy to lose. So I stick to phones like Nokia because they are user friendly and easy to use.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Karsten
#33. May 4th, 2010, at 11:40 PM.

I was super happy with my old nokia phone and then bought due to heavy duty social pressure of my social circle a samsung phone – gosh – what a disaster…the problem in my case is I really hate apple (but they do make great stuff) I guess that makes me super old school…

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com RockGrup
#34. May 9th, 2010, at 5:36 PM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Learn English
#35. May 13th, 2010, at 9:37 PM.

Well explained aarticle.. It’s really Niice that you found this service!! It is too sad that they did not tell you this at the store. I am using a Blackberry but only it has a keyboard!! I had to text with a regular phone where one key is for 3 letters. This drives me crazy and slow. As well I am not a fan of super high tech so a smart phone is not important…

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com eco green products
#36. May 18th, 2010, at 7:40 AM.

I like Nokia or Motorola because they are user friendly and easy to use.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com USPS change of address
#37. July 5th, 2010, at 12:43 PM.

I love the concept of the MobileMe program! I wish they had it for the BlackBerry. I have unfortunately lost my cell phone more than once over the years, and being able to narrow it down to a single building would have been a huge help in locating it again.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com USPS change of address
#38. July 5th, 2010, at 12:45 PM.

One other thing related to how stupid a smartphone can make you feel. First, I do feel like an idiot when my smartphone has a raft of features that I don’t know how to use. Worse, when I am trying to perform a task that seems ridiculously simple to me yet impossibly difficult in the sea of menu options, I feel quite stupid indeed.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Bonefish Grill Coupons
#39. July 30th, 2010, at 3:04 PM.

I don’t know what I’d do if I lost my iPhone. It barely works now as it is, but it’s how I check everything pretty much all day. I know no one’s phone number anymore which is kind of scary.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com campus book rentals
#40. December 10th, 2010, at 6:24 PM.

I do not have an iPhone, but a Droid smartphone. I had a similar problem with mine. I didn’t lose it, but my screen died, and without screen then there was no way to even get my numbers. Yes, we are WAY too dependent on our cells. I don’t think I have actually dialed a number in forever. I don’t even dial them into my phone. I have the new person call my number and save it from there.

My smartphone does have the GPS tracking on it, as well. I have turned it on from the ap store. I really should test it and see if it works. But, am I the only one that smartphones make feel really stupid? I cannot figure out how to do lots of simple things on my phone now.