Foodbank App Needed for Food Insecurity

I had an idea that kept me from sleeping..well if that darn cat had not woke me up at 415am to be let out, I probably would not have had the idea.

The idea was spurned by the morning news yesterday when I heard an actor(oh, Lizzie says it was Al Roker of the Today Show)  talking about a campaign to reduce “food insecurity”  and hunger.

What is Food Insecurity?

If you go to the previous link and check out the page on Frac.org (Food Research and Action Center) you can find out more about the political terms used to describe hunger in countries such as the United States.

In the United States and other developed countries, people generally don’t starve death, but homes that are food insecure, where there is just not enough to eat, do exist. This isn’t like I didn’t have enough time to get to the store, its more like, I don’t have enough money for the bills on a regular basis, and my family is frequently with out food.

Who are the Hungry?

Being with out food, and having to skip meals on a regular basis, can seriously affect a persons emotional and mental well being.  Don’t believe it, why don’t you fast for a day, and see how you feel?

As a former teacher, I know that kids who don’t get the proper nutrition, are prone to lower academic achievement, not to mention affects on their physical growth milestones.

So….

What can I do about hunger and Food Insecurity?

I was thinking of  some ways that I could raise funds or food that could be donated to the local food bank. These include:

1. weekly donations to the food bank at church.
  2. when we have a party or get together, have guests bring a can of food to donate, this will be brought to either the local food bank, or to church the following week to be added to my weekly food donation.
  3. Here is where my idea starts..When we go out to eat(Thegrubhound and FatladySingz eat out a lot) I will start donating either a fixed amount like 5-10$ or a fixed percent like 10% of the bill. If I can give a wait staff 20% then, why not add 10% for the hungry?

So how do I go about getting the money to the food bank. Sure I can keep a tally of the amounts on my phone, and then purchase a grocery store shopping card for the amount next week. Or….

An App to Make Donating to Food Banks Simple

What if there was an app that let me donate a designated amount to the local food bank. The Food Bank App would be like a directory of all the food banks across this globe.  When I pay my bill, I can send the 10% right to the account of a local participating food bank.

The App could be made social, maybe even partner with Social Sites like FourSquare, Facebook, Twitter, and the like.

So I when I donate, a tweet or post could go out that a patron of Joe’s Tavern,  made a donation to the abc food bank…Possible App Customizations:

So what do you think about the Food Bank App idea? How do I proceed?

Written by Pixelhead on March 20th, 2011 with comments disabled.
Read more articles on Charitable Organizations

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Wayne @ Southern California Web Development
#1. March 20th, 2011, at 4:14 PM.

I would reach out to the people at Foursquare and Gowalla and present them with this idea.

I think this post is a great way to start it off too.

Great idea, hope it gains some traction and we as people of earth start making more serious inroads on helping others not so fortunate.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com kingsley
#2. March 21st, 2011, at 10:23 AM.

Food insecurity is highest in Africa. But it is unfortunate little is paid to the hungry in Africa. Sometimes i wonder when africa will be like europe.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Bus Charter and Rentals
#3. March 21st, 2011, at 1:45 PM.

Interesting idea. Continue with this idea and let us know how was your end result.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com campus book rentals
#4. March 21st, 2011, at 6:07 PM.

those are all great ideas, but most people on unemployment might not even think to go to a food bank or they may not qualify. You are right about the nutrition aspect. I know from personal experience while recently being unemployed for eight months. it wasn’t as bad as most people but I did have to make serious changes.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com adam
#5. March 21st, 2011, at 6:56 PM.

Wayne, thanks, I sent out a bunch of tweets to both Facebook,Gowalla,and Foursquare..but might need to contact them other ways..

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Student Discounts
#6. March 21st, 2011, at 9:52 PM.

What an excellent new idea to reduce world hunger! It’s about time we get involved, raising consciousness, encourage, and support causes like this to eradicate world hunger and poverty.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com underfloor heating systems
#7. March 22nd, 2011, at 4:55 AM.

What are the strength and the weaknesses of the U.S public policy strategy for addressing food insecurity? and what programs and policies and in place to deal with the issue of hunger in the united states?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Kim @ Joomla Garage
#8. March 22nd, 2011, at 10:05 AM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Carla E.
#9. March 22nd, 2011, at 6:16 PM.

A Foodbank app seems like a great idea. I would definitely use it once i start my non profit organization. :)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Alvin Y.
#10. March 23rd, 2011, at 11:33 AM.

Yes, I like idea about making an App for food bank. There are a lot of concern citizens out there who are willing to help, but lacks the time and energy to do so. They would be able to take their part in the campaign against hunger hassle free.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Guildford James
#11. March 23rd, 2011, at 6:56 PM.

Sounds like a great idea, as the other comment said i would speak to Foursquare as they might be able to add this feature to their add or allow you to piggy back onto their network.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Cyber Sequencer
#12. March 23rd, 2011, at 9:25 PM.

Considering how much chaos and instability is going on in many parts of the world, it would probably do many people good to be able to donate money or food to Food Banks. They could feel that they are making a difference, instead of watching the very depressing news.

An app is a great idea too. Although, I wonder how many food banks are even online? It seems like a lot of non profits are behind the technology curve.

- Andrew

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Baron Williams
#13. March 25th, 2011, at 6:32 PM.

Your idea about food bank is great, but don’t you think other with bad intentions will do the same like this?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com monish
#14. March 26th, 2011, at 5:12 AM.

great post..
let your studies go forward and get an answer as soon as possible…

monish

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com issy
#15. March 26th, 2011, at 8:18 AM.

This is a great idea

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mobile application development
#16. March 26th, 2011, at 12:04 PM.

Food donation is a good thing, but what if to make the rich buy food for hungry children instead of spending millions of money on some “very important thing” like new gadgets with brillints, or yachts, or I don’t know any other “projects”. I think that the worls has reached the level of its development when something should be done by those who have power and money.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com rolete
#17. March 26th, 2011, at 1:52 PM.

Well, who could build such an app? I dont think it’s too hard for a web developer. He could do lots of good by creating such application

#18. March 26th, 2011, at 4:38 PM.

Baron, I suppose there is the ability to take advantage..safeguards would need to be implemented.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ari Lestariono
#19. March 27th, 2011, at 12:26 PM.

It is a fact that hunger is public enemy no.1, while Global Crisis is turning point not getting better.The only solutions is plant your own food, and make your communal economical system , rather than just waiting for a job application with pointless return.And if this communal system by making our own food works, money is not an obligation anymore to human.But the goverment and New World Order may not like this, just think about it, no body will need any banks or capital system and proven they are wrong also in running people welfare.Have a thought.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Plc Training In Saudi
#20. March 29th, 2011, at 10:55 AM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com kingsley
#21. March 30th, 2011, at 11:16 AM.

the best way to reduce food insecurity is to give the needy crops so they can start their own farm. That way they will be sufficient amount of food for everybody.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Appointment Setters
#22. March 30th, 2011, at 11:27 AM.

Great idea! I think the President himself would also appreciate this idea of the Food Bank App. By the way, you may then proceed and put forward your idea and suggestions to some good developers. And also please post updates about developments so that we may know and also contribute in any way possible. Thanks.

Daniel from Idea2result.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com MegB
#23. March 30th, 2011, at 1:14 PM.

Food Insecurity is a very SERIOUS issue overall. There are many organisation are fighting against for this and providing as much help as they can but this alone is NOT ENOUGH….even WE FOLKS also get actively PARTICIPATE in this WAR. I like your TOPIC very much.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Power Ranch homes
#24. March 31st, 2011, at 5:25 AM.

This is a great idea.. It is another method of using technology to bring about social change in our society. Food security is indeed a major problem in the world today. There are a number of areas where basic commodities (such as technology/ communication, etc. ) is very much inaccessible. I wonder then how we (those with access to technology) will be able to bridge this technological gap where there is limited access to technology… ?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com decking china
#25. April 1st, 2011, at 7:08 AM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Rachel
#26. April 1st, 2011, at 8:16 AM.

Good idea but I think a Facebook app like this one requires the attention of someone very skilled, maybe a dedicated company. have you tried elance.com ?

All the best,
Rachel

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com campus book rentals
#27. April 2nd, 2011, at 1:02 AM.

Its a great start, we have more problems at home that we do abroad. We need to start concentrating with whats more important that oil or making a buck. We have more waste in this country alone, if we can all pitch in a little it doesn’t have to be a lot. MegB has got it straight.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mia
#28. April 4th, 2011, at 7:55 AM.

So, int he end we’ll donate money and not food, right? I still prefer to give food rather than money, this way I’m sure that the goods are bought. Call me a skeptic, but bad things are happening all the time.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Top 20 Lists
#29. April 5th, 2011, at 3:20 PM.

This is a great idea man!!! I love this food app bank!!! I so want it on my iphone, when I get one.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Geo
#30. April 6th, 2011, at 9:09 AM.

Maybe even a wider ranging app to help your local charities or volunteering, that would be amazing!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com grilaje ferestre
#31. April 6th, 2011, at 11:55 AM.

If I can give a wait staff 20% then, why not add 10% for the hungry?
INDEED, we leave cash at the supermarket, give wait staff why not give those whom really need?
Your idea is great, but who is going to do all the programming for the App? Do you have such knowledge?
Another thing: maybe not all restaurants have a web page or wish to implement the App. You could create a App for facebook, it’s easier to create a Facebook page rather than a whole website

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com photographe mariage
#32. April 6th, 2011, at 1:15 PM.

Food is probably the challenge for this new century.
People throwing away food should consider it.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com giochiwinx
#33. April 8th, 2011, at 5:45 AM.

who could build such an app? I dont think it’s too hard for a web developer. He could do lots of good by creating such application.
exceedingli post.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Logo design
#34. April 9th, 2011, at 6:56 AM.

You’ve got an excellent idea. The food bank app really sounds great and interesting. Hopefully, somebody could make it into real. Anyway, it’s great that there are people like you who shows concern about the famine which some country are experiencing now. Please let us know of the update for this idea of yours. Thanks you for this wonderful thought.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com custom band merchandise
#35. April 9th, 2011, at 6:34 PM.

I think an app is a good idea, whilst you could say there are a lot of websites out there where you can donate, you have to catch people at the moment they want to donate and this could help a lot

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Bizaare Pools
#36. April 11th, 2011, at 7:32 AM.

I do believe you with this: “I know that kids who don’t get the proper nutrition, are prone to lower academic achievement, not to mention affects on their physical growth milestones.”

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com cadouri
#37. April 11th, 2011, at 11:36 AM.

Interesting idea but I think a Facebook app like this one requires the attention of someone much experienced or a dedicated company.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Cadouri
#38. April 13th, 2011, at 11:25 AM.

Food donation is a good thing, but what if to make the rich buy food for hungry children instead of spending millions of money on some “very important thing” like new gadgets with brillints, or yachts.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com adam john
#39. April 14th, 2011, at 9:45 PM.

sent out a bunch of tweets to both Facebook.. thanks :D

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com tonya
#40. April 15th, 2011, at 4:06 AM.

donating food is great, i buy every holiday when i walk into the store n see those food drive boxes and make sure i keep it separated so when i walk out the store i can drop it in. it is so sad to see so many children and elderly people n homeless go hungry. wish i could do more but got 3 kids of my own i need to make sure eat. i try to help volunteer at soup kitchens and stuff in my area as well

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Dial Gurgaon
#41. April 15th, 2011, at 9:48 AM.

Great idea all is very important and useful for every internet user thanks for it.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Scottish Web Designer
#42. April 15th, 2011, at 12:50 PM.

If you have ever read about the hierarchy of human needs it explains why hunger can stop people from fulfilling their potential. The theory goes that if a person does not have their most basic needs met then they will be unable to focus on other things, such as education or self-improvement due to the overriding importance of staying alive. In this day and age no-one should be left hungry, anywhere in the world.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com shak
#43. April 15th, 2011, at 6:50 PM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com SEO Gurgaon
#44. April 16th, 2011, at 8:35 AM.

The study takes a look at “meals” in a whole new way, using county-level data on food costs from The Nielsen Company to break down the food budget shortfall of Delaware residents into an approximation of the meals missing from the tables of people at risk of hunger.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com hostgator
#45. April 18th, 2011, at 8:53 AM.

It is really a good program for the great cause. they give the meal to the food bank which for each tweet, to became follower, and for visit and re-tweet. i appeal all the tweeter users to visit Susquehanna’s post about the promotion and help the great cause

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com watches
#46. April 18th, 2011, at 3:09 PM.

int he end we’ll donate money and not food, right? If I can give a wait staff 20% then, why not add 10% for the hungry?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com sewa ac
#47. April 19th, 2011, at 2:52 AM.

Climate change is a real issue and is rightly being dealt with by major global investment. However, I am concerned there is another major issue along a similar time-scale – that of food and energy security.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com s1ck
#48. April 19th, 2011, at 4:21 PM.

this is a great example of how internet can help the whole world. besides the fact you are helping people, you get a lot of traffic and donations. i like it.
I am a developer and webdesigner and i would love to create such an application, its not hard, though

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com minneapolis embroidery
#49. April 19th, 2011, at 7:03 PM.

what a noble and awesome cause! i’m so glad to hear about this type of thing and that technology is can be used for charity.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Social Momentum
#50. April 20th, 2011, at 8:14 PM.

Food insecurity is a very noble cause. I applaud you.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com alex@killurtime
#51. April 21st, 2011, at 10:38 AM.

i like your idea..food donation is gr8 and when ever we see any hungry poor old man we should give him some money …that will bring smile on their face..which is real humanity

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Computer training pune
#52. April 22nd, 2011, at 7:37 AM.

food insecurity is big problem in India also. We do have lot of organization working for this very good cause but corrupt politicians make sure that they eat more food or rather store food rather than helping poor and needy people to get basic requirements they need to live

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Scalar Energy Pendant
#53. April 22nd, 2011, at 7:47 AM.

No doubt there are a lot of people suffering from hunger in many countries. i also think that there should be a way to help them out

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Aquarius Metalcraft
#54. April 25th, 2011, at 4:33 PM.

I think you idea is genius and I agree, if you can give 20% to waiting staff then 10% is peanuts!
It’s a real shame technologically advanced countries cannot come up with simple solutions like yours to counteract starvation that’s sitting staring up at them from their very own front door steps and although I come from a privileged country I do everything in my power through donations to help stop this from happening worldwide.
How far have you got with your idea? Keep us posted!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com canvas prints
#55. April 26th, 2011, at 10:12 PM.

be nice to see this idea expanded on

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com milton
#56. April 27th, 2011, at 9:41 AM.

innovative idea , i never thought of it. Well carry on. The application will not be a complicated one. Like other donate applications with little change in values.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com free pdf books
#57. April 28th, 2011, at 9:26 AM.

We have good people in our Earth and we have to continue with spreading good things around us. People should be awared of bad things like social networking and start looking for the ways to make their existence valuable. Thumbs up for the author! Keep doing and inspiring other people!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com used cars in colorado
#58. April 28th, 2011, at 1:30 PM.

This is an awesome idea. I thought about creating a disaster relief app for countries that encounter any disaster at any given time. I didn’t follow through though, I own a car dealership and barely have enough time to spend with my family. I give you credit for your idea.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com My Man’s Belly
#59. April 28th, 2011, at 6:39 PM.

I love the idea of an app to help make donating easier. Since everyone seems to have gone digital these days, why not make it easier for them to do their giving?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com matrix
#60. April 29th, 2011, at 2:34 PM.

This is very nice idea. I think this idea should be implemented on small scale first and then we should take big step. I am gone try this idea on very small scale to judge results hope i will get positive results

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Rakibul
#61. April 29th, 2011, at 4:28 PM.

yes ! i also agree. thats good idea ! thanx 4 sharing !!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Evan Foster
#62. April 29th, 2011, at 11:27 PM.

Why not set up a social website where you put the hungry in touch with all the people deperately trying weight-loss diets. The ‘fatties’ would get thinner by doing a good deed and the hungry would get fed whilst contributing to the general health of society. Brilliant!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Zac Coplan
#63. April 30th, 2011, at 4:42 AM.

I love the idea. It seems like a burden for the average american to go to the store buy food and take it to the food bank, but pressing a button on your iphone when your out to eat now thats more like it. I would love an update when the app is released!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com HGH
#64. May 2nd, 2011, at 6:20 AM.

a good step towards a great cause to feed poor people who left hungry or taking proper food. economy is going towards downfall. healthy eating have a right to everyone……..sharing means we will achieve our goal soon.

Aimee Sparker

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com charlottesville houses for sale
#65. May 2nd, 2011, at 9:12 AM.

I think your idea was great about Food donation………
This is the one of the great innovation idea of technology……….
Thanks for sharing this….
Thanks buddy…..Keep it up……..

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com campus book rentals
#66. May 2nd, 2011, at 9:00 PM.

It is really great to this type of post for the 3rd time today. More people should help out around where they live. I volunteer at the local food bank and i love it. I also make sure to try and help the people get the most out their visits.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com tallinn stags
#67. May 3rd, 2011, at 11:23 AM.

What are the strength and the weaknesses of Canada’s public policy strategy for addressing food insecurity? and what programs and policies and in place to deal with the issue of hunger in Canada.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com wedding favors
#68. May 4th, 2011, at 4:28 AM.

Your idea is incredible! Being a philanthropist is not an easy task because you need to be presently there to help other people. But this is a good feat that will always be remembered by everyone. Just keep it up!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com customer retention programs
#69. May 6th, 2011, at 8:07 AM.

I once read the food american throw in trash may feed half of the people who don’t find what to eat.There is a Bounty of food but we lack the mechaisms of distribution

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com rental genset
#70. May 12th, 2011, at 6:27 AM.

Humans are using an increasing amount of Earth’s annual production of plants.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com seo pakistan
#71. May 13th, 2011, at 8:01 PM.

that is great idea to provide a basic need for poor and needy humanity.
food is a life for everyone. thanks for posting such a wonderfull blog.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com data management service
#72. May 18th, 2011, at 11:19 AM.

There are genuinely sufficient resources in the world to ensure that no one, nowhere, at no time, should go hungry. – Ed Asner

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com etech.com
#73. May 19th, 2011, at 2:22 AM.

A great idea, hope that the poor can receive more help. Read the article, I think I can do something, “thank you

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Priya
#74. May 27th, 2011, at 11:20 AM.

Thats an Excellent Useful article which says about food insecurity, now a days we dnt have secured food outside, so as to improve this type of things we need to make raise an application about food security..
Thanks a lot for sharing this..