Free and Easy Tips to Get More Referrals
Posted by Pixelhead
Do you do a lot of networking?
I have had many networking associates say they have a referral for me, and that I should expect a call from so and so, but the call never comes for one reason or another.
Why do I want to give and/or get referrals?
Looking at the Baldydog.com company client list, I see that the majority of our clients were from referrals. Some were from companies that I have done business with, others where just from old clients who were more than satisfied with our work. So if you want business, you need to be giving and getting referrals.
What is a referral?
Any time you tell someone about a product or a business or suggest to someone that they should use said product or service that is a referral.
When you get a lead based upon a referral, you are far more likely to close the deal than you are if you are cold calling.
Referrals are like votes for your brand. The person who refers you is in essence giving your brand a vote.
Ask my dog above and I am sure he would give a vote for that bone in is his mouth…sorry, I just had to work him in..
Tips to get more referrals.
- Ask friends or clients if they have someone they can refer to you.
- When networking, tell people exactly what type of referral you would like to get. For example, I looking for referrals of marketing companies that do Law Firm marketing so they might list their Law Firm SEO clients with Onlinelegaldirectory.com. I am telling people exactly what type of referral I am seeking.
- Give more referrals. People give referrals to people who give them referrals.
- Develop symbiotic relationships. For example, we try to work with lots of web developers, because many web developers don’t do SEO, but they do have lots of clients that need SEO. Then at other times we have SEO clients that need some sort of web development..its a win win situation.
- Go above and beyond what you promise your clients. Since we always give our clients more than what we promise, they love us, and love to send their friends to us.
How to Give a Good Referral
Having been in a BNI(Business Networking International) chapter, I learned their way to give a good referral. Don’t just give a name or contact info for the referral. A lot of times, what I do is ask the person if it would be alright for my friend to give them a call and find out what the best time would be to get a call. So when I am talking to a person about my buddy Tom who fixes computers, I verify with the person that “I am going to have my buddy Tom of LuckyGeek.net give you a call at such and such a time about your PC.” I prefer not to give them Tom’s info and have them call him. Some will, but some won’t .
Get permission to have your friend call the referral at a certain time. Its like scheduling an appointment. Don’t have the referral do the calling.
Additionally, when you are chatting with someone, a need will come up that one of your associates can fix. Be sure to sell your friends services, so that the referral will be waiting for the call. For my buddy Tom, I tell them I have a guy who fixes all sorts of computers and is cheap, and he has a policy that if he can’t fix it there won’t be a charge.
What to Do When You Get A Referral
- Thank the person giving you the referral.
- Call the referral at the designated time or call to reschedule the appointment if it doesn’t fit into your schedule.
- Build your friend up who gave you the referral(don’t bad mouth them)
- If it leads to business, be sure to reward your friend who gave you the referral with praise, thanks, cash, dinner, or a referral..etc.
How do you give and get referrals?
This may not be what you do in regards to getting and giving referrals, but please let me know if you have any referral tips that you use successfully that I have not mentioned.