Sorry to tell you, but directory submissions don’t provide a ton of traffic. Don’t expect to see visitors coming from any directory that you submit your site. But what can you expect?
You can expect that the links from these directories should count as backlinks to your site if the directory page where your link resides after being approved is cached in Google. Content may be king, but backlinks are still important.
Niche directories rather than general directories are a much better quality link, so I suggest seeking them out for your niche. Below is a list of travel directories that I have compiled.
- All-travel-sites.com premium, but has a lot of free methods..comment on the blog or do a guest post. (my site)
- A travel directory for websites that use the .Travel
- Travelandtourism.net directory
- TouristClick.com has a variety of submissions free to $85.
- TravelAxis free but has a $60 rush submission feature. Has a list of travel directories at the bottom of the page, but has not been updated since 2009.
- World Web Travel Directory
Lists of travel Directories
Rather than go through endless lists and compile my own list of directories, how about a list of other travel directory lists?
- One of my favorites is the list of travel sites on Directory Critic with over 170 travel directories listed.
- TravelAxis.orgs list of travel directories updated in 2009
- WebDirectory.ws has a list of Travel directories that looks like it is updated regularly.
- A pretty old directory list with 39 travel directories.
- InfoVileSilencer.com’s list of free travel directories I have used their lists before..most are good, but some bad ones slip through.. but you just never know.
- I like this list of travel Directories with Stats..some nice stats for each directory that is listed.
- ShortBreaks Travel Travel Directory List
Well, that’s my list of travel directories and list of lists of travel directories that I can recommend. I know there are a ton of directories out there with lists of travel directories or lists of general directories with travel categories. I would recommend using the former, but chose wisely when using general directories with travel categories.
With all the changes Google has made and continues to make, I believe its best to use these sparingly.Variety is not only the spice of life, but is the spice of your SEO.
Be sure to read our other posts on Link Building so you will be sure to do your link building right.