A Lists of Travel Directories and Lists of Travel Directory Lists

Sorry to tell you, but directory submissions don’t provide a ton of traffic. Don’t expect to see visitors coming from any directory that you submit your site.  But what can you expect?

You can expect that the links from these directories should count as backlinks to your site if the directory page where your link resides after being approved is cached in Google.  Content may be king, but backlinks are still important.

Niche directories rather than general directories are a much better quality link, so I suggest seeking them out for your niche. Below is a list of travel directories that I have compiled.

Warning: Don’t just submit to Niche directories, but use niche directories as an arrow in your SEO Quiver. Create great content, and remember to use a variety of types of links.

Travel Directories

Lists of travel Directories

Rather than go through endless lists and compile my own list of directories, how about a list of other travel directory lists?

Well, that’s my list of travel directories and list of lists of travel directories that I can recommend. I know there are a ton of directories out there with lists of travel directories or lists of general directories with travel categories. I would recommend using the former, but chose wisely when using general directories with travel categories.

With all the changes Google has made and continues to make, I believe its best to use these sparingly.Variety is not only the spice of life, but is the spice of your SEO.

Be sure to read our other posts on Link Building so you will be sure to do your link building right.

Written by Pixelhead on April 10th, 2012 with comments disabled.
Read more articles on Link Building and Travel and Uncategorized

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mary Olsen
#1. April 10th, 2012, at 7:42 AM.

Nice post, though I’m perplexed as to why DC is one of your favorites. They might have a bigger list than the other guys but that’s because they contain a lot more junk.
e.g. http://www.denakil.com/tourism-directory.html

Been on their list for 5 months and has no listings. This is one of many anyone could pick out at random. DC is probable the weakest of all the lists you’ve mentioned, because you have to wade through so much garbage to find the good directories.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Adrian
#2. April 10th, 2012, at 12:03 PM.

Thanks Pixelhead. I would like to say thanks for two reasons. first of all for the list of directories and the way to make them in our linking ! The other reason is for clarifying the real benefits of the directory sites as per today’s advanced search engine environment!

#3. April 10th, 2012, at 12:47 PM.

Thanks for your feedback Mary. I think any directory list has the potential to have garbage. When I do use dc, I scrutinize all potential resources that I use for my clients. Its a list with a lot of potential, but yes, I think you are right that their lists need a bit more moderating.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Blake | Custom Catalog Printing
#4. April 11th, 2012, at 6:24 AM.

Thanks for this list. I agree that submitting into directories will not drive much traffic. But still, it is important to increase your back links. And making the most out of it is to submit on quality directories which are niche related and reliable.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com SEO Training in Chennai
#5. April 11th, 2012, at 7:36 AM.

Your article on travel directory lists was really amazing & helpful for both newbie & advanced user.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com James Hal
#6. April 11th, 2012, at 8:11 AM.

Thanks for sharing this post. It’s really a helpful directory list and I hope it will help me a lot in future. Actually I’m a novice in SEO service and at present working for http://www.runlovin.com/ website.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Don Alton Latimer
#7. April 11th, 2012, at 4:07 PM.

Your article is a good one Pixelhead. As part of a link-building strategy, niche directories are one of the things someone wanting to get backlinks to their site should consider. At 101 SEO Tips I am recommending that as one of the tips.

By building links from relevant niche directories, not only do you gain the opportunity for a backlink, you also gain insight into who may be competing with you and your site. Great article Pixelhead!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com tom henson
#8. April 12th, 2012, at 12:29 PM.

Niche directories are excellent to get a good variety of links to your site. Have just spent a few days working on submitting my fishing boat site to directories!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Stan
#9. April 16th, 2012, at 5:51 PM.

Adam.

It’s been a long, long time since I last visited your blog. It’s great to see that it’s still going well.

Link building is just getting harder and harder.

What do you think about Google Plus?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Kasi
#10. April 16th, 2012, at 5:53 PM.

Now more than ever is variety important – even though SEOs have been saying that for the last couple years. You can’t rely on just one or two back linking strategies; you’ve got to diversify and they need to be natural. Gone are the days of getting 1000s of crap links.

#11. April 16th, 2012, at 7:54 PM.

Stan, I am on it daily. As an SEO, I don’t think I or any other SEO can really afford to ignore it. At a minimum, I would suggest starting a profile for both you and your business.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Carrie Daton
#12. April 18th, 2012, at 6:26 PM.

Thanks for the amazing list. I want to diversify my link building effort and this links should help. I have noticed after Panda update more and more diversification as well as relevant link building is helping with SERPs ranking. Do-Follow vs No-Follow no longer matters.

Regards

Carrie

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com yield to call
#13. April 19th, 2012, at 6:59 AM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Gabrielle
#14. April 19th, 2012, at 10:12 PM.

Have you ever used Fiverr.com for automated article submission and if so, did it work? I’m thinking if the same anchor text is used in all submissions it won’t make any difference for your rankings.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Andrew Lebedynets
#15. April 20th, 2012, at 2:32 PM.

I don’t think directories are doing any good and worth of the time spent on placing a website out there. To me its much better to write an article with proper links and submit it somewhere. But that is my humble opinion.

One more thing: Do you think Google penalizes websites for being in directories?

#16. April 20th, 2012, at 4:35 PM.

Andrew, no I don’t think Google penalizes for being in directories.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Saffron
#17. April 23rd, 2012, at 11:56 AM.

no I don’t think Google penalizes for being in directories.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com SIPP’s
#18. April 24th, 2012, at 11:33 AM.

there is miss-conception that directories are no longer have any existence for Google. I think directories still have a worth of existence but only a good directories are not ordinary directories. I’m sure both of you will agree with me on this issue. Am I right ?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mae
#19. April 28th, 2012, at 7:03 AM.

I agree, quality content and a good variety of links are best SEO practices. We don’t expect to gain lots of traffic from directory listings, but we are after the link value that they give.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com muzahid
#20. April 29th, 2012, at 10:30 AM.

I agree that submitting into directories will not drive much traffic. But still, it is important to increase your back links. And making the most out of it is to submit on quality directories which are niche related and reliable. waw nice

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Kim Meredith Smith
#21. April 30th, 2012, at 6:13 AM.

In your Travel directory list i like the sentence Contents may be th king, but backlinks are still important. So the first priority is given to contents. We need to have a good and fresh contents in website to gain more traffic to the website. Not only directories posting helps in link building.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Imperia Rubix
#22. May 1st, 2012, at 11:06 AM.

I never think online internet directories are doing any fantastic and value of your time spent on placing a website out there. To me its much better to make an articles with appropriate inbound links and submit it somewhere. But that is my sincere point of view.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Rex R
#23. May 1st, 2012, at 4:05 PM.

That does seem to be the case, that directories do not really add that much traffic, in fact, I have felt that way for some years already and hardly use them anymore. However, I do agree with you that at minimum the value of the links gained through listing your sites in directories is worthwhile for those who have the time to do it.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jim
#24. May 3rd, 2012, at 2:27 PM.

Link sharing is excellent SEO marketing. There are some changes coming from Google again when it comes to links. I can’t wait to see what new options they have for us.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Johnny
#25. May 6th, 2012, at 5:14 PM.

Submitting to directories no longer helps you much. It gets your website crawled, but directories no longer provide the link juice it did in the past. Focusing on writing good quality content is the way to go now.

Just my two cents,
Johnny

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Technofist
#26. May 10th, 2012, at 10:56 AM.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com google adwords
#27. May 12th, 2012, at 4:27 AM.

What an excellent differentiation between exclusive and undiscriminating travel directory listers! Your article carries the subtle reminder that the more things change the more they remain the same: Paying out money must be preceded by an investigation of credentials and track record, in life and on the internet.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Minh Lee
#28. May 18th, 2012, at 7:10 AM.

I agree with you Pixelhead, content is the king but the back link is much more important. Thanks for your post.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Charles
#29. May 18th, 2012, at 7:12 AM.

I’m afraid with Google Sandbox. Cause when you “SEO” too much, your website page rank increase fastly, but abnormally. Any punishment from Google always expensive.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Andrew
#30. May 28th, 2012, at 6:11 AM.

First of all thanks to you for sharing the nice list of travel directories.but i don’t found any where how to submit link on your directory sites.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com siltyrose
#31. May 30th, 2012, at 3:47 PM.

But still, it is important to increase your back links.
Link building is just getting harder and harder.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com nage maghanoy
#32. June 3rd, 2012, at 5:28 PM.

Thanks for this list of travel directories!
Although content writing is more viable, diversity of strategies is still
needed.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Danny
#33. June 7th, 2012, at 12:32 AM.

There’s surely a big difference between niche directories and general directories. Like you said every backlink counts, but I definitely find that niche directories help a lot more than just submitting to general difectories which are out there.