Penguin Update Articles

The Penguin update is one of Google’s latest updates. I like many of you have been scouring the Internet for all information about the club penguin update..lol…sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Anyway, from what I have been reading, I am under the impression that it is more of a spam filter than an algorithm update. So now more than ever, content is going to be even more important, along with good link building practices. Some might even go as far as forgoing link building, but venture into creating great content that others will share via social media.

If you think you have a totally awesome site with lots of great content, and have totally natural looking backlinks and you were affected adversely by the Penguin Update, here is the Penguin Update feedback form.

I suggest visiting the SearchEngineland.com post right below, and watch the two videos about the Penguin Update by Google’s very own Matt Cutts.

Other Penguin Update related articles

Anything to contribute about the Penguin Update?

Well I hope your site(s) was not affected to badly by the Penguin Update. If you have some other Penguin Update posts to share, please leave them in a comment below. If you would like some assistance with web development and/or content creation please visit my business site, and contact me for a professional consultation.

Written by Pixelhead on May 10th, 2012 with comments disabled.
Read more articles on Google

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com John
#1. May 11th, 2012, at 9:45 AM.

It seems like they’re downplaying the potential of negative SEO, because it definitely looks like getting caught in the filter results in some significant penalties. Only one of my sites was negatively effected by the update, and I am pretty sure it was because the bookmarking folder I opened up had attracted some attention from people who run automated link blasts.

Even though I could delete their spam comments from my site, I couldn’t stop the thousands of automated links they were pointing to those spam comments and bookmarks. I’ve done what I can to shut the whole section down and 301 it to a safer place, so it will be interesting to see how it actually plays out the next time they hit the big red Penguin button. (It seems that, like Panda, Penguin is a monthly check of the naughty-or-nice list, so if you behave after getting whacked you might be able to come back. Really looking forward to Penguin 2.0 so we can see exactly what is going on)

#2. May 11th, 2012, at 6:42 PM.

Yea, I am anxiously waiting the next update, and so are a few of my clients.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Adrian
#3. May 14th, 2012, at 7:26 AM.

Thanks Pixelhead for such awesome list of best and useful posts about the penguin Update! well i can say that the Penguin update was the most confusing for me to understand(though even after reading the posts there are some points which need to cleared) . i am curiously waiting for the next change! thumb up to you!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com stan@stair treads
#4. May 16th, 2012, at 4:17 AM.

It may be a little early to jump to any conclusions. I didn’t see any of my sites come down with a case of Penguin. I do my share of link building, but I’ve always approached SEO holistically. As far as link building, I’ll keep doing my “Goldilocks” technique. Its tougher and takes more time, but it holds up really well over time. I hope I’m not eating my words later. I do think a total “social” approach is just as bad as blog networks. And time will prove this. Rule of thumb, if there is a “blackhatter” scamming it, Google will devalue it.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Cedric
#5. May 17th, 2012, at 8:56 AM.

Once Google update their policy, all SEO staff must change their hobby to increase the website Google Page Rank. The next Google update will focus on content of the website, including visitors, articles, comment, and back link.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Pro v1 golfballs
#6. May 19th, 2012, at 12:35 PM.

To be honest Im glad of the penguin update, it shows that google are looking at getting rid of the spam and quick ‘cheat’ methods of ranking high. I for one like to do things the proper way and use white hat seo tactics. My sites have not been affected and some have improved rankings. I am also building new sites all of the time and getting good results by using natural methods. I look forward to future updates

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ranjit
#7. May 23rd, 2012, at 12:27 PM.

One thing I have never understood about Penguine update or google algorithm, What is actually quality content according to google although unique is different thing.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com pnrstatus
#8. May 23rd, 2012, at 2:58 PM.

What I learned from this update is the lesser you do seo, the better you will perform. This update can also be called as “anchor text” linking update. Reduce your main anchor text to not more than 30 percent of your overall link building.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com GhaflaGuy
#9. May 25th, 2012, at 8:57 AM.

There has been a lot of panic in this post Google Penguin era among internet marketers and web designers. The thing is, with great content and natural link building you will always rank well in Google Search regardless of which update they release. However I must admit Google are causing a lot of anxiety with these algorithm updates!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com iqbaal
#10. May 28th, 2012, at 6:19 AM.

Yea, I am anxiously waiting the next update, and so are a few of my clients.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ben
#11. May 28th, 2012, at 9:45 PM.

Good list of posts, it’s hard to filter through all the rubbish people are saying about penguin and just find the good stuff, so thanks for finding the good stuff for us!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Andrew
#12. May 29th, 2012, at 5:50 AM.

Google continuing updating algorithms against seo spammers.A lot of spamming doing in the seo so Google now strict against spammers.just make quality back links otherwise Google may penalize your site.Thanks to you for sharing the latest update with us.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com benhhoc.vn
#13. May 31st, 2012, at 1:30 AM.

Back in Feb 2011, when Google first launched Panda update, we never thought this will be a turning point of SEO. Many things has changed since then and web is going more social. Anyhow, we will talk about it after the break but first lets see what’s this penguin update all about …

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Free Android apk
#14. June 1st, 2012, at 4:33 AM.

I’m sure Penguin will come back in many forms time and time again, just like Panda did. Instead of worrying about when the next one is coming, site owners should focus on getting their sites and link portfolios in order to handle any and all future updates. Even if you made it through round one that’s no guarantee your site is 100% safe.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Peter Berkshire
#15. June 2nd, 2012, at 8:19 PM.

I was penalised on my air conditioning website around the 7th April. I have read about the Penguin update, but do you have any idea when google implemented it? Peter

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com manidip bandyopadhyay
#16. June 4th, 2012, at 6:28 AM.

@Pixelhead fantastic work. I have found some useful links here.I got couple of sites hit badly by Penguin.Looking for remedies.Anyway, thank you.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Danny
#17. June 7th, 2012, at 12:36 AM.

The penguin update could have a positive potential impact for some, it just depends on the type of content they have and what types of sites that have contributing as well as linking in.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Web Design Coventry
#18. June 13th, 2012, at 8:47 AM.

I was unaware of this ‘Penguin’ update but it seems like something that I really should know being in the industry. Do you have any good reading material on this topic that I can look up ?

Thanks in advance Pixelhead !

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com James BulkSMS
#19. June 27th, 2012, at 7:55 AM.

Can we just tell google to stop updating its algorithm. Webmasters are having time adjusting of their SEO programs because of the sudden change of algorithms.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com jithin
#20. June 28th, 2012, at 11:04 AM.

i think next update is ranking depend on G+… waiting for next penguin update last one little tough for my sites ,…….

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Tim-K
#21. June 28th, 2012, at 1:08 PM.

well, penguin giving me such headache from the past weeks, and now still working on it with some of my sites that got negatively effect from the update.. thanks for sharing those other links of articles. still working with the solutions.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Cyprus Property
#22. June 30th, 2012, at 3:17 PM.

My clients were affected in the October update but this year all changes have only had minimal impact.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Sup
#23. June 30th, 2012, at 11:22 PM.

Struggle for the third place after the Penguin, because I had hidden links and texts, I know, old-fashioned tip, but not any more..

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Lena
#24. July 3rd, 2012, at 5:45 PM.

Yes, many bloggers are now asking themselves if this isn’t in fact a filter and not an algorithm since it affects entire sites and not just single keywords.
Have you noticed any changes since the first update? To me it seems like they have penalized competitive niches and not just those that have spammy links pointing to them.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Window Film
#25. July 20th, 2012, at 6:52 PM.

Google confuses people with their frequent updates. I guess it’s a good way to deal with all the spam out there it’s just a shame that legitimate websites get caught in the mix. I don’t know about forgoing link building all together though. It’s still one of the most important aspects of SEO regardless of the Penguin update. If you have good link building practices you will see good results. Not to say that content is less important. Content is still king!!!