Last week I started using the GeoLocation Based Social Media site Gowalla to check in while out and about and I like its features that allow me to update not only my Gowalla profile, but also Facebook places, Twitter, and my Tumblr. I also like the feature of being able to post pictures to my profile and add the pics to the spot that I am visiting as well as posting to my Twitter and Facebook profiles if I desire.
Gowalla and FourSquare are not the only players in the GeoLocation Based Social Media game, but they are the two major players. FourSquare being the bigger of the two, but Gowalla, which was established in 2007, is the older of the two.
Who Uses GeoLocation Social Media sites?
Users of these GeoLocation social services tend to be tech savy, young people who have disposable income. If I had a business that relied upon foot traffic, I would strive to get these users of both Gowalla and FourSquare into my establishment.
For more info on using GeoBased Location Social Media for Business check out the following SlideShare presentations:(I will be doing a post on this subject in the near future)
Gowalla VS FourSquare Features
- Gowalla Items vs FourSquare Badges
- Checking in on both is easy
- Gowalla allows you to check in on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr..
- Gowalla top ten list vs FourSquare Mayor..ten users recognized vs one..
- FourSquare Specials for Business Promotion..Gowalla (forthcoming)
- Gowalla is into the Geocaching Game vs the Social aspect of FourSquare
- Both now allow posting of pictures.
- Choosing not to update followers for a particular check-in on Gowalla requires up to four taps on my iPhone vs FourSquare which it can be done with one tap.
- Design wise I think they are about equal, both are pretty easy to navigate.
- FourSquare has a larger user base – according to a somewhat dated TechCrunch article, Foursquare is 5 times larger and growing at a rate of 75% faster every day.
I am not going to go into any more detail in this post. I encourage you to check out both GeoLocation Social Media sites and compare the two. I myself, will be keeping an eye on both, and will be looking for ways that I can use them to enable my local Search clients to drive foot traffic to their businesses.
Are You Using FourSquare and/or Gowalla?
Written by Pixelhead on February 10th, 2011 with 32
Read more articles on FourSquare and SMO and Uncategorized. The Story of Ted Williams Silky Smooth VoiceFoodbank App Needed for Food Insecurity